NDF - Financing for climate change and development projects

Year 2018 - a strong uptake in demand for viable climate resilience projects

Photo: Miguel Oliveira
16.04.2019

The NDF Annual Report published

Read the NDF Annual Report 2018 here.

At the end of 2018, NDF's project portfolio consisted of 113 completed or on-going projects, with a total financing of EUR 375 million.

In 2018, the Board of Directors approved financing to nine new projects amounting to around EUR 47 million. Of the new financing commitments, 82% was released as equity financing, loans or reimbursable grants, leaving 18% as grants. The profound shift from grants towards blended financing can be seen as two-fold. First, it promotes the longevity and viability of NDF-backed projects, and second, the use of equity investments helps enable a climate funding environment that will increasingly spur much-needed private sector involvement.

With strong focus on the six focal areas, NDF was able to provide financing for value-adding programs and projects advancing the global sustainable development agenda. The following themes predominated NDF's new funding initiatives:

Blended financing: in line with the strategy to expand the portfolio towards blended financing, NDF increased equity financing instruments versus grants. In particular, NDF is using blended financing to spur clean energy investments in developing countries and expand market-based climate resilience solutions globally.

Private sector adaptation: in support of the need for governments and civil society to urgently scale up knowledge, technologies, and financing options for climate resilience, NDF has invested in CRAFT, the world's first market-driven climate change adaptation fund.

Catalytic financing for coastal resilience: NDF is providing catalytic funding for climate resilience solutions along the heavily populated West African coastline, where the extent and impact of climate change, particularly coastal erosion, has reached a critical juncture.